earth singles dating site
Pages 192-206A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). The first element of the name, commonly thought to refer to a bridge built by the Domesday lord Walter of Douai, (fn. 121) was removed when the turnpike road was improved in 1822. 122) The east gate, mentioned in the mid 13th century and later known as St. Eastover was probably established after the bridge was built . A reference of 1397 to a house of three couples in Friarn Street to be built within seven years (fn. It is of five bays and two storeys with a basement. Among those was the Valiant Soldier, which in 1790 had a fives court. 227) There were 71 hotels, inns, and beerhouses in the parish in 1909, 44 in 1988. 228) A play was performed in the shire hall in 1431-2, (fn.
Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992. 2) is more likely to be derived either from the Old Norse , a gang plank between ship and shore. 3) Bridgwater, apparently agricultural at Domesday, (fn. A castle was built soon after that date and near its south-eastern corner a bridge crossed the Parrett. 145) and an agreement with a carver in 1515 for a new house in St. 146) suggest that both were timber framed, perhaps with crucks. The full-height centre piece is approached by steps which rise from a courtyard flanked by single-storeyed wings. Mary Street has also been much altered in the 20th century but it appears to have had a pilastered, early 18th-century front of seven bays flanked by early 19th-century additions. 199) and in the mid 15th century the site included a church, chapter house, and cloister, with rooms including a parlour off the cloister, the whole surrounded by gardens. The principal establishments were the George, the Swan, and the King's Head. 225) In 1825, as part of the rebuilding of the north side of High Street, the Royal (later Royal Clarence) hotel replaced the former Crown and Angel inns, and until it closed in 1984 was the principal establishment in the town. 226) Inns opened away from the town centre mark the spread of the built-up area; the Railway hotel, by the railway station, in 1839-40; the Mermaid in Bath Road in 1859, the Crowpill in Chilton Street by 1869, and eleven inns in St. 229) and pipers from Ash Priors took part in the Corpus Christi pageant in 1449. Mary Street in 1912, the Palace in Penel Orlieu in 1916, both as cinemas, and by 1925 the town hall was used as a theatre.
Burnham was seriously affected by the Bristol Channel floods of 1607, with the present curved concrete wall being completed in 1988.
There have been many shipwrecks on the Gore Sands, which lie just offshore and can be exposed at low tides.
Burnham-on-Sea is a town in Somerset, England, at the mouth of the River Parrett and Bridgwater Bay.
Burnham was a small fishing village until the late 18th century, when it began to grow because of its popularity as a seaside resort.
The boundary with Durleigh partly follows streams, and that with Wembdon was marked by the northern edge of the former Queen's wood. 8) West Bower, beyond Durleigh to the west, was divided into two small, irregular areas. 9) The civil parish of Bridgwater Without, including Dunwear, East Bower, Chedzoy Lane, and Haygrove, was created in 1894. 10) East of the river the parish is on low-lying alluvium . Three fields named Parks survived in Haygrove in 1847. Increases of over one fifth followed in each of the next three decades, giving a total of 10,450 in 1841, which included 311 temporary labourers on the canal and railway and 92 in ships in the harbour. Mary's Cross, at the south-eastern corner of the churchyard, probably marked the original entrance to the market place from the south. 101) In 1724 the corporation ordered the churchwardens to remove timber and lead from the cross, which probably formed a shelter around the cross shaft. 102) The cross was removed in 1769 to Penel Orlieu and was demolished in the 1830s. 103) A replica was built in 1989 at the east end of Fore Street. Many of the houses are of three storeys and in the 19th century they have stepped voussoirs to the window heads. The Infirmary was refronted in 1876 in a mid 18th-century style and the former Y. On some of the less humble houses unfaced stone is used for walling, and gables with ornamental bargeboards are common, perhaps in an attempt to be different. 188) Its condition was severely criticized by John Howard in 1789. 189) The building, on the south side of Fore Street, had an imposing rusticated classical frontage; it was closed and demolished in 1875. The Bridgwater steeplechase and hurdle races were held in 1898 but were said to have been abandoned by 1905. 250) There was a reading room in the market house by 1830 which by 1840 had become the Literary and Scientific Institution. 259) and a tax levied in Cornwall in 1234 was to be taken for safe custody to the town. 268) and in 1536 four men were executed in the town after a rising at Taunton. Fairfax took Eastover with 600 prisoners, finding that most of the suburb had been fired. 285) Henry Harvey, lord of the Castle manor, claimed to have lost £4,000 including a house by the bridge, and the mayor in 1656 asked help to repair 120 houses destroyed in the town including the almshouses. 286) Many of the inhabitants had removed themselves for safety to Wembdon. 287) Between 8 January and 17 July 1645, before the siege, 68 soldiers were buried in the town; thereafter no burials were registered until 1 December. 288) Troops remained in the town, which was used as a base for the expedition to Ireland, (fn.
A small stretch of the southern boundary follows the Parrett, but near the hamlet of Somerset Bridge an incursion of North Petherton parish across the river, named Old River Ground, was evidently the result of natural or deliberate straightening. 7) Another part of the southern boundary, also with North Petherton, was evidently formed across Stock moor when the area was inclosed. 75) and there were 600 communicants in the parish in 1548 and a total of 352 households in 1563. 76) There were 642 males who signed the Protestation in 1641. 77) A census taken in 1695 suggested 2,200 or more inhabitants for the town and 600 for the rest of the parish. 78) In 1801 the total population was 3,634, and within ten years it had increased by over a quarter to 4,911. The probability is that much of the rebuilding in the town is 19th-rather than 18th-century. 158) As in most other towns the mid 19th century marks the beginning of a period when several styles were used for commercial and domestic building. 9 Cornhill has a datestone for 1857 and is Italianate, four storeys high and six bays long. the Priory and Hamp House) and they became more numerous as the town spread outwards in the mid 19th century. 161) Most of the growth of the built up area, however, was in the form of streets of relatively uniform terraces (fn. 164) were used to decorate even the humbler houses. 195) In the early 17th century the pillory stood in High Street by the stocks and near the site of the present town hall. 196) In 1744 the corporation ordered the pillory to be removed to the Cornhill, but both pillory and stocks were in 1782 to be set up again on the old site. In 1854, after a gap, they were revived in late August and by 1867, as the Bridgwater and West Somerset races, were held at the end of September. John's Street, Taunton Road, and West Street, the first still in use in 1889. 252) By 1859 the Literary and Scientific Institution had been moved to George Street where there was a museum 1861-75 and a reading room in 1875. 253) A reading room at the town hall by 1889 remained there until 1906 when the present library was opened in Binford Place. 254) The present museum, known as the Admiral Blake Museum, was opened in Blake Street in 1926. One for mariners was founded in 1805, another for carpenters and joiners in 1811, and a third based at the Baptist church in St. In the mid 19th century national societies for tradesmen were active. 257) King John visited Bridgwater in 1204, 1205, 1208, and 1210, and Henry III in 1250. 258) Prests were delivered in the town to William Longespee, earl of Salisbury, in 1208-9 (fn. John's hospital was attacked and the master forced to surrender bonds held against townsmen. 266) In 1469 Humphrey Stafford, earl of Devon, was executed in the town. 267) In 1528 sessions of the peace in both Bridgwater and Taunton were interrupted by insurrection, (fn.Bridgwater is at the edge of the Somerset Levels, in level and well-wooded country; to the north are the Mendips and to the west the Quantock hills.The town lies along both sides of the River Parrett, 10 miles (16 km) from its mouth, has been a major port and trading centre and maintains a large industrial base.To compound this; job security is becoming a thing...Plymouth, Exeter, Torquay, Paignton, Newton Abbot, Honiton, Tiverton, Launceston, Okehampton, Buckfastleigh, Exmouth, Yeovil, Taunton, Wellington, Cullompton, Brixham, Liskeard, Teignmouth, Bridgwater, Weymouth Girling Jones are recruiting for a building and maintenance contractor for an Electrician to join their busy team, the role will be covering projects within the Taunton / Bridgewater area.